This Data Protection Notice (“Notice”) sets out the basis which the Bird Society of Singapore (“we”, “us”, “our”, or “the Society”) may collect, use, disclose or otherwise process personal data in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act (“PDPA”). This Notice applies to personal data in our possession or under our control, including personal data in the possession of organisations which we have engaged to collect, use, disclose or process personal data for our purposes.
- As used in this Notice:
- “our websites” mean any of the websites operated by us, which are: (a) https://singaporebirds.com/, (b) https://records.singaporebirds.com/, and (c) https://birdsociety.sg/;
- “our services” mean our websites, as well as all other services provided by us, including but not limited to walks, talks, and other events hosted by the Society;
- “user” means an individual who (a) has contacted us through any means to find out more about any services we provide, or (b) utilizes our services;
- “personal data” means data, whether true or not, about a user who can be identified: (a) from that data; or (b) from that data and other information to which we have or are likely to have access.
- Depending on the nature of your interaction with us, some examples of personal data which we may collect from you include your name and identification information such as your contact information, including your email address.
- Other terms used in this Notice shall have the meanings given to them in the PDPA, where the context so permits.
COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
- We generally do not collect your personal data unless (a) it is provided to us voluntarily by you directly or via a third party who has been duly authorised by you to disclose your personal data to us (your “authorised representative”) after (i) you (or your authorised representative) have been notified of the purposes for which the data is collected, and (ii) you (or your authorised representative) have provided written consent to the collection and usage of your personal data for those purposes, or (b) collection and use of personal data without consent is permitted or required by the PDPA or other laws. We shall seek your consent before collecting any additional personal data and before using your personal data for a purpose which has not been notified to you (except where permitted or authorised by law).
- If you provide us with any personal data related to a third party (e.g. information on your family members), by submitting such information to us, you represent to us that you have obtained their consent to do so.
- We may collect and use your personal data for any or all of the following purposes:
- performing obligations in the course of or in connection with our provision of services;
- verifying your identity;
- responding to, handling, and processing queries, requests, applications, complaints, submissions of information, and feedback from you;
- processing payment or credit transactions;
- sending you information about our upcoming events or initiatives, or updates from the Society;
- complying with any applicable laws, regulations, codes of practice, guidelines, or rules, or to assist in law enforcement and investigations conducted by any governmental and/or regulatory authority;
- any other purposes for which you have provided the information;
- transmitting to any unaffiliated third parties including our third-party service providers and agents, and relevant governmental and/or regulatory authorities, whether in Singapore or abroad, for the aforementioned purposes; and
- any other incidental purposes related to or in connection with the above.
- We may disclose your personal data:
- where such disclosure is required for performing obligations in the course of or in connection with our provision of the services requested or utilized by you; or
- to third party service providers, agents and other organisations we have engaged to perform any of the functions listed in clause 8 above for us.
- The purposes listed in the above clauses may continue to apply even in situations where your relationship with us has been terminated or altered in any way, for a reasonable period thereafter (including, where applicable, a period to enable us to enforce our rights under any contract with you).
- We may use “cookies” to track the activity on our service and store certain information. While this cookie can tell us when you enter our sites and which pages you visit, it cannot read data from your hard disk. We have carefully chosen these cookies and taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times.
- You may choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may, however, prevent you from taking full advantage of our services.
- We automatically collect usage data when you use our services for diagnostic purposes and to improve the quality of our services. Usage data may include information such as your device Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, browser version, device type, the pages of our service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, and other diagnostic data. To maintain your anonymity, we do not associate IP addresses with records containing personal data.
WITHDRAWING YOUR CONSENT
- The consent that you provide for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal data will remain valid until such time it is being withdrawn by you in writing. You may withdraw consent and request us to stop using and/or disclosing your personal data for any or all of the purposes listed above by submitting your request in writing or via email to our Data Protection Officer at the contact details provided below.
- Upon receipt of your written request to withdraw your consent, we may require reasonable time (depending on the complexity of the request and its impact on our relationship with you) for your request to be processed and for us to notify you of the consequences of us acceding to the same, including any legal consequences which may affect your rights and liabilities to us. In general, we shall seek to process your request within ten (10) business days of receiving it.
- Whilst we respect your decision to withdraw your consent, please note that depending on the nature and scope of your request, we may not be in a position to continue providing our services to you and we shall, in such circumstances, notify you before completing the processing of your request. Should you decide to cancel your withdrawal of consent, please inform us in writing in the manner described in clause 12 above.
- Please note that withdrawing consent does not affect our right to continue to collect, use and disclose personal data where such collection, use and disclosure without consent is permitted or required under applicable laws.
ACCESS TO AND CORRECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- If you wish to make (a) an access request for access to a copy of the personal data which we hold about you or information about the ways in which we use or disclose your personal data, or (b) a correction request to correct or update any of your personal data which we hold about you, you may submit your request in writing or via email to our Data Protection Officer at the contact details provided below.
- Please note that a reasonable fee may be charged for an access request. If so, we will inform you of the fee before processing your request.
- We will respond to your request as soon as reasonably possible. Should we not be able to respond to your request within thirty (30) days after receiving your request, we will inform you in writing within thirty (30) days of the time by which we will be able to respond to your request. If we are unable to provide you with any personal data or to make a correction requested by you, we shall generally inform you of the reasons why we are unable to do so (except where we are not required to do so under the PDPA).
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- To safeguard your personal data from unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks, we have introduced appropriate administrative, physical and technical measures such as up-to-date antivirus protection, encryption and the use of privacy filters to secure all storage and transmission of personal data by us, and disclosing personal data both internally and to our authorised third-party service providers and agents only on a need-to-know basis.
- You should be aware, however, that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is completely secure. While security cannot be guaranteed, we strive to protect the security of your information and are constantly reviewing and enhancing our information security measures.
ACCURACY OF PERSONAL DATA
- We generally rely on personal data provided by you (or your authorised representative). In order to ensure that your personal data is current, complete and accurate, please update us if there are changes to your personal data by informing our Data Protection Officer via email at the contact details provided below.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- We may retain your personal data for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected, or as required or permitted by applicable laws.
- We will cease to retain your personal data, or remove the means by which the data can be associated with you, as soon as it is reasonable to assume that such retention no longer serves the purpose for which the personal data was collected, and is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
- Our websites may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the data protection or privacy practices of third-party websites.
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
- If you have any enquiries or feedback on our personal data protection policies and procedures, or if you wish to make any request, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Vice-Secretary, Bird Society of Singapore
EFFECT OF NOTICE AND CHANGES TO NOTICE
- This Notice applies in conjunction with any other notices, contractual clauses and consent clauses that apply in relation to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal data by us.
- We may revise this Notice from time to time without any prior notice. You may determine if any such revision has taken place by referring to the date on which this Notice was last updated. The latest version of the Notice is available at our website, https://birdsociety.sg/. Your continued use of our services constitutes your acknowledgement and acceptance of such changes.
Effective date: 31/7/2023
Last updated: 31/7/2023